Thursday, December 23, 2010

Tense(s)

The English language both fascinates and confounds me.  The inconsistency of spellings must be very vexing to those who do live with their Merriam-Webster's close by their sides.

Take, for instance, the beloved poem by Clement Clark Moore, "The Night Before Christmas".  At this time of year, the poem is recited in total or quoted piecemeal frequently.  It has long been a favorite of mine and as I was reciting it in my head this morning, a particular stanza stuck out for me:

"He was dressed all in fur from his head to his foot,
And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot;
A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a peddler just opening his pack."

It was the word flung that captured my attention and, as I am want to do, I fixated on it for a bit, particularly the present and past-tense forms, fling and flung,  then on to wondering why it isn't fling, flang, flung.  I did check my Merriam-Webster and there is no flang in the dictionary.....at least not in the one next to my laptop.  If I were to add the letter e, you would find the word flange.  One word under flange is flank, but no flang.

Consequently, I am left wondering who made all of these decisions centuries ago......to compose a word and, conversely, to not compose a word.  There is think, thank, but no thunk.......in proper English.  Besides, think and thank are not related, except to say " I think I said thank you.". 

I will leave myself with these thoughts swirling in my head as I proceed to the kitchen, once again, to bury my thoughts (thinking, not thanking nor thunking) in the fragrant aromas of holiday food favorites.  May you do the same.

Happy Holly Daze

Ancora imparo