Monday, January 16, 2012

You Know What They Say....

Newsflash from the waters of the Great Lakes:

An Illinois man had to be rescued from the icy waters of the Great Lakes after a mishap ice fishing in less-than-completely-frozen conditions.  At 3:30 a.m. the man got into trouble and required first-responders to bring him to shore.  Lucky for him, those first-responders had just been trained in ice rescue the day before! 

I rejoice for and with the man that he could be capably and securely saved from his own foolishness.  If he has family - the article did not mention family.....perhaps because they were embarassed......I am most certain that they and he are equally thankful.  Death by freezing in icy waters would be horrific. 

While reading the article, I found what it did not say just as intriguing as what details it did include. the man clearly behaved recklessly, which causes me to wonder some of the same wonderings I had in yesterday's blog about the Italian cruise ship tragedy and its negligent captain.  Ice fishermen can be known just as much for their revelry as their ice fishing prowess.  Perhaps this unfortunate ice fisherman was catching more bottle bass than crappies or perch.

What the article did include was a valuable clue about the unfortunate man's memory.  He had conveniently forgotten that just ONE YEAR AGO, he had to be ice-rescued from the same area.  I repeat my surmise that, just perhaps, he was more into bottle-bass fishing than any other species.

You know what they say, don't you?  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  I wonder what is said about the third brain f#%t?  Three times and you're out? 

Ancora imparo