Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Check Your Lids!

The morning began with the usual 6 a.m. alarm, although my wakefulness was complete just prior to the radio alarm coming on, cheerily reminding listeners that a new day was dawning and that we should begin the process of hauling ourselves from beneath the warm and toasty environment of bedcovers.  Chilly tile floors helped speed up my walk as I shuffled about, gathering workout clothes and running a hairbrush through my unruly bedhead.

I was aware that all eight brain cylinders were not quite firing as they should so I made adaptive movements and decisions in order to compensate for my brain's misfirings.  Fortunately, when I turned on the treadmill before stepping on - a departure from my usual routine - I remembered that it was running and hopped on at the appropriate speed.  I moved through my morning exercise routine with a bit less enthusiasm than usual, got the job done, and walked into the kitchen, where I knew I'd have to think cogently because I could make some interesting mistakes if I was not on top of the choices I was making.  I almost put the egg carton back into the cupboard that holds the dishes, but I caught myself in time.

After breakfast, I decided that freshly brewed coffee (as opposed to instant) would be just the ticket to offset the chill from the outside that was seeping into the condo.  I gathered the necessary equipment to brew the coffee and set about making the brain-starting, synapse-firing java.  The aroma was so inviting as the water slowly seeped through the ground coffee in the filter, drip-dripping into my pre-warmed ancient and favorite Thermos mug that I can no longer buy.  It is a slow process but well worth the wait.  When the water had finished draining through the coffee grounds, I removed the special filter-holder and screwed on the Thermos lid.......not quite paying attention to what I was doing.

Coffee, newspaper, and a cold morning are the perfect combination and now I had all three ingredients.  Eager to allow the caffeine to kick-start all eight brain cylinders, I headed for my favorite chair - now basked in sunlight - sat down, and proceeded to start my relaxation "moment".  The anticipation of hot coffee warming my insides was prominently in my thoughts as I tipped the Thermos mug to my lips.  Reading the front page of the newspaper, engrossed in yet the latest misstep of another politician, I kept bringing the mug to my mouth when I suddenly realized that nothing was coming out.  Annoyed as can be, thinking that my mug had malfunctioned somehow, I was chagrined to discover that I had placed the lid on incorrectly and that the hole where the liquid would come out was not aligned to where my mouth was.  Considering the size of my mouth, I find this hard to believe, but nevertheless, I had been trying to sip from solid plastic.

As a metaphor for success today, I beseech all of you who may read this to be sure your lid is on straight.  You can be sure I'll be checking mine frequently throughout the day.

Ancora imparo