Monday, January 23, 2012

Big Rigs, Keep On Rolling

Kenworth, Mack, Freightliner, Volvo, International, Peterbuilt - just to name a few of the manufacturers of the big rigs (tractors) that haul the trailers on our nation's highways.  The U.S. standard length of a trailer is fifty-three feet, with an overall tractor-trailer length being anywhere from around sixty-seven feet to seventy-five feet, depending on the length of the tractor.  These bad boys keep our nation supplied, fed, and moving.  

For some reason, unknown to even me, I have had a life-long fascination with tractor-trailer rigs.  Since Capt. Cook and I have spent a fair amount of time on highways and interstate roads, I often pass the time by checking out every T-T (I have grown weary of typing out tractor-trailer) combination we either overtake (traveling in the same direction) or pass (traveling in the opposite direction).  You can tell a lot about the driver's job and load just by checking out his (or her's OR theirs) tractor.  A short tractor, with no sleeper-cab extension means, hopefully, that the driver is doing just short (relatively) runs, with no need to catch some serious zzzz's while working.  I have to admit, though, seeing some of these types of tractors either in the middle of the night or in pre-dawn hours makes me wonder what time they left from their starting point.

There are sleeper-cab tractors that have narrow sleeping quarters and there are the tractors that appear to have the spaciousness of a New York City studio apartment.  I've seen a few video clips of the interiors of this type of cab and the accoutrement's are impressive, rivaling the space in smaller, upscale recreational vehicles. 

If you take time to study the big rigs as they roll down the highways at night, you will see many lighting variations, from whatever is standard for the maker's tractor and the trucking company's trailer, to elaborate lighting, perhaps on rigs that are owner/operated.  There is little more spectacular to me, other than the big barge/tanker ships that motor through the water in the night, than these rigs that light up the highway much like lighthouse beacons on coastlines. 

Yes, I get excited when I see T-T's.  I study every one I can and have become fairly efficient in identifying which manufacturer is which.  Atop my bucket list is the dream to sit in one of the OTR (over-the-road) cabs and explore its nooks and crannies.

The job of an OTR driver can be demanding, exhausting, lonely and requires great driving skill.  These men and women keep our economy moving and strong.  In my next life, perhaps I'll be at the wheel of an eighteen-wheeler.

Ancora imparo