Saturday, January 28, 2012

Would I Really Want To Know?

Yet one more posting resulting from attending a church service on a Saturday night. 

First of all, this daring young pastor has been delivering sermons from a series he has called "good sex, GOD'S way".  Tonight's sermon was the last in the series and only the second one Capt. Cook and I have heard.  While perhaps not drawing the targeted audience of adults, the congregation has certainly had its fair share of teens willing to set through a sermon about "SEX".   Tonight's sermon began with a video clip from a 1971 movie called "Defending Your Life", starring - among others - Meryl Streep, Albert Brooks and Rip Torn.  The scene we saw was where Streep and Brooks are in line, waiting to enter heaven.  Upon arrival, they are ushered into individual "booths" where they are addressed by a character, played by Shirley MacLaine, who tells them that they will shortly be viewing themselves in past lives.  MacLaine, of course, is famous, perhaps infamous, for her belief in reincarnation.  Meryl Streep's character discovers she was a Sir-Lancelot-type who came to people's rescues.  Albert Brooks character discovers he was an aboriginal native about to be a great cat's dinner. 

If reincarnation was "real", would you want to know who or what you were in past lives?  Would you want to know that you had been present on the earth in other bodies or forms?  Would you want to know that you were a daisy blowing in the wind, only to be picked by a child, innocently placed in water on a dining room table and left there to wither and wilt?   Would you want to know that you were once a Tasmanian Devil who was a fierce and feared predator?  Would you want to know that you were almost a wife of King Henry the VIII?

I'm quite certain, if reincarnation were a real phenomenon, that I would have been a Siamese cat.  At least, this is what I always told my mother.  No wonder I drove the poor woman nuts.  I would rather think of myself as a Siamese feline than a small insect that scurries about apartments and restaurants at night and then flies into the woodwork at the flick of a light switch. 

All conjecture anyway.  I do not think I would really want to know.  I'll leave that to the characters in the film, "Defending Your Life". 

Ancora improbablearo