Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sticky, Very Sticky

I feel compelled to write about a national, maybe international issue, of great import.  This problem is rampant today and has been an issue for years, decades, or even centuries.  This issue may even trump the all-important Republican Florida Primary being held today in our favorite Sunshine State, although it is hard to imagine anything trumping this primary.  Perhaps the only bigger thing than my issue and the primary is the Republican Presidential Candidate Wannabes' obvious desire for self-destruction and an even more intense desire to hand the Presidency back to the Democrats for one more term.  Ah, but I digress.

I am uncertain just what topic today's post is about.  In fact, I do not know how to categorize my dis-comfort about this glaringly troubling problem:  When to say "thank you" and when to respond, "You're welcome."  John Q. Public obviously has no idea when to utter which, because you can listen to interview after interview, either on the radio or television, and repeatedly, interviewees (guests) respond, when the interviewer says, "Thank you for being with us today.", "Oh, thank you!"  The correct response to "thank you" is "you're welcome".

This drives me nuts.  I am just as guilty as the next upright homo sapien when it comes to this social trip-up.  When a store clerk hands me my receipt and says, "Thank you for shopping with us today.", what do I mindlessly respond in reply?  Why, "thank you", of course, as if it is she or he that did me the big favor by letting me spend my dollars in the store and I gratefully reply, "thank you".  For what?  Handing me the receipt?

I do the same thing when I am at the drive-in window of the bank.  Upon completion of my transaction, the window teller puts my receipt in the drawer, pushes the button to move the receipt out to me and says, "thank you".  Well, the teller should thank the customer for bringing business to his or her bank instead of the dozens of other banking alternatives available to the local consumer.  But, do I say, "You're welcome." (for giving your bank business?)  No.  Instead I mutter "thank you".  For what?  The privilege of doing business here?

This just makes no sense to me.  Judith Martin, aka Miss Manners, has written a multitude of books on manners, politeness, etiquette - whatever term you wish to give this conundrum that I raise.  I do recall, some years ago, reading an article about this sticky issue.  She - Miss Manners - was very emphatic about the (her) fact that "thank you" should be followed by a "you're welcome".

Maybe the problem is not one of social interaction at all.  Perhaps since a large part of our society cannot spell "you're" correctly, it is not possible to use the phrase correctly, either.  What is your opinion about you're?  Or, is it you're opinion about your

If I have brought any clarity to this national issue, I'll say, "You're welcome." in response to your "thank you".

Ancora imparo