Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Tiny Heart-String Tug

There are simply too many reminders that the years have passed.  I recognize song titles and melodies from fifty years ago.  Not only do I recognize the songs but I can sing right along, word-for-word.   I can sing advertising jingles from way-too-long ago and I remember theme songs to television shows that I am embarrassed to admit knowing.  The other night, while watching my favorite eldest daughter perform great jazz, blues and rock, I remarked to Capt. Cook that when I was her age, I had two children and was performing in a staid, classical trio where formal long-and-black was the uniform.

Today brought a poignant reminder of years gone by.  Not too long ago, the Three Musketeers' mother emailed me and asked if we had any of Daddy Three Musketeers' Legos left.  If so, could the eldest Musketeer inherit them?  "Yes!" and "Absolutely!", I replied.  This afternoon I went in search of the Legos and found two of the once-upon-a-time signature-red plastic carriers - one smaller and one about twice its size.  I opened both carriers and it was as if I had been transported back twenty-five years ago, when my favorite son and his friends played with the Legos.  My trusty video player - my memory -  rewound to the house we lived in, my son's friends, his bedroom, the kitchen table where he and his friends would have sat for a snack......it was all there in Kodachrome.  (There's a word that will sadly go into antique annals all too soon.)  Then my mind floated back to the present and the eldest Musketeer  - aka TLV - who will play with the small-size, original Legos.

He is in Kindergarten and is rapidly absorbing all that Kindergarten teaches......and more.  Earlier today I dusted my office shelves and had the pleasure of reviewing all of the cards that The Three Musketeers have given me over the past few years.  Their hand"printing" has predictably evolved and I have seen samples of  TLV's printing from this year and the sign of improving small motor skills is evident.

After checking the contents of the Lego carriers, I went to pick them up in order to bring them upstairs so I would not forget to take them to TLV on our next trip.  On the larger container is an original Lego sticker that says, "These Legos belong to______________" and there was Daddy Three Musketeers' name, from long ago, in his shaky, not-quite-perfect-yet-legible hand"printing" as a young child.

It looked just like TLV's does today.

I'm not certain which came first:  The tiny tug on my heartstrings or the mist in my eyes.

Ancora imparo