Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Little Edgy, Don't You Think?

There are multiple levels of thinking and thinkers.  There are different ways of displaying the thought process.  Ever watch a child (or some adults from time to time) ponder a question, assess a situation OR try to formulate her or his own question or comment?  While I do not wish to assign dog-like attributes to humans, this level of thinking reminds me of when I used to watch our beloved Springer Spaniel, Max, decide to do something he clearly knew he should not.  We could see the little wheels turning....just shortly before he sprang up onto the table to do a snatch and grab with a piece of food.

Moving to the opposite end of the contemplation spectrum, there are those who walk among us that have the normal number of limbs, appendages, DNA strands, etc. but that is where the similarities stop with "them" and "us".  These modern-day Auguste Rodin posers might well be the poster-people (no poster children among them) for the famous 1902 sculpture that some critics believe portrays Dante pondering his entrance - or lack thereof - into Hell.

While some of us regular folk gather at malls, parties, places of worship, bars and coffee shops to think and ponder, the elite thinkers use a website called Edge in which to ponder the ponderances of all ponderances.  A friend introduced me to the website,  edge.org.  I spent almost two hours pouring through as much content as my mind could absorb which, believe me, wasn't much.  I felt like Julia Roberts' character in "Pretty Woman", trying to navigate through the "regular" clienteles' shops on Rodeo Drive in Los Angeles.

edge.org was described by John Naughton of The Observer as the world's smartest website.  The website's mission is:  To arrive at the edge of the world's knowledge, seek out the most complex and sophisticated minds, put them in a room together and have them ask each other the questions they are asking themselves.

I'm quite certain that Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta was not referring to the same "edge" as she sings the repeating chorus words over and over and over and over........"I'm on the edge, the edge, the edge, the edge..." 

I have to close.  I'm getting edgy.

Ancora imparo