Thursday, January 5, 2012

Synonyms For Disgusting

Sometimes I watch television when I am working in my office, depending on the type of project I am engaged in.  If I do watch the tiny screen, I try to be cognizant of when a commercial comes on because I find most of them trite, trivial (redundant, I know), inane, and annoying - at best.  If I'm on top of what I'm hearing from the tube, I hit the mute button as soon as the commercial begins.  I'll be the first to admit that some commercials are witty, amusing, and well-crafted but they seem to come far and few between.  Many products are produced by corporations with deep pockets and sizable advertising budgets, therefore their commercials appear frequently, ad nauseum.  I think if I see one more advertisement about how a spokesman "goes to the mall" to talk about cars, I'll lose my sanity.  There is a clever commercial series from Volkswagen's "Signthendrive" promotion that usually brings a smile to my face but even then, over-saturation brings boredom which breeds dismissal.

A few commercials deign to appeal to either sex, usually by portraying the featured male/female actor or actors as incompetent ignoramuses.  At times, I am caused to ponder just who these commercials are targeting.  Are we, the viewing public, really that stupid, complete with vapid and vacant minds that will accept any advertising garbage thrown our way?  Really.......a legion of kids throwing snowballs at a car will help sell that particular model?

The "commercial to end all commercials" aired tonight - at least it is the first time that I've paid attention to this commercial for Activia, the yogurt with probiotics to enhance regularity of the digestive system.  The actress who fronts these commercials ends up giving the female actor who is "in need of digestive regulation" a video camera and tells her to keep a video log.  Since this commercial is about a product that aids in "digestive regulation", my mind simply cannot wrap itself around keeping a video diary about someone's "digestive regulation progress". 

Yuck.  Gross.  Very ewwwy.

Ancora imparewwyo