Saturday, January 28, 2012

Soprano Sax, Gershwin and Peace

I went to church tonight.  Yeah, a Saturday night church service.  The pastor, who delivers a great sermon spoke about finding yourself, forgiving your past and finding peace.  This, of course, caused me to reflect on what brings me peace and I remembered the great sense of peace that fell over me this morning all because of.......you guessed it.......music. 

I was listening to a public radio station that has "Classical Music By Request" every Saturday morning.  Since anyone can call, email, text, write or twitter in their request for anything remotely classical, you pretty much get carte blanche or, as Cole Porter's musical is titled, "Anything Goes".  Admittedly, about fifty percent of what is requested is not my cup of tea but only about twenty percent receives a station change when I hear it played.  Otherwise, the requested selections either energize or relax me, as did one piece this morning. 

If you are not familiar with the music from George Gershwin's musical, "Porgy and Bess", you would do yourself a big favor by becoming acquainted with this masterful work of Gershwin's.  I love all things Gershwin, but the music from "Porgy and Bess" has always spoken directly to my soul.  Perhaps it is the combination of the touching story line and music that draws me to this piece.  Whatever the cause, I never tire of hearing it.

This morning, someone requested to hear a medley from "Porgy and Bess" featuring a soprano saxophonist with orchestral accompaniment.  The soprano sax is the smallest of the saxophone family and pitched the highest.  Not an easy instrument to play, when played well produces a hauntingly beautiful sound, with a timbre easily identified.  During my years in the bandroom, a highly talented district father played a mean saxophone of any kind and often soloed with my jazz band.  His soprano- sax playing was always my favorite.  When I heard the "Porgy and Bess" medley today, it evoked memories of "Doc" from years ago and this incredible sense of peace came over me.  Granted, it only lasted the four-to-five minutes of the medley, but it was worth every second.  I stopped what I was doing and simply sat, letting the music envelope me and take me to zen.

Need some peace in your world?  Listen to George Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess".

Ancora imparo