Friday, January 27, 2012

Kitchen Kibitzing

By choice, the majority of this day has been spent in the kitchen.  After being out for several hours this morning, I returned home to a list of KP duties.  I had scribbled notes to myself on multiple scraps of paper (Yes, I know I should have utilized my phone's list-making capabilities.) and was not aware of the scope of my kitchen challenge until I gathered up all the scraps of paper and made them into a single list.  At first, my eyes must have bulged and I can remember making the sound of a tiny gasp, then thinking to myself, "You'd best get busy!" 

My first task was to get soup going in the crockpot because I knew it would take the longest to cook.  I assembled all of the ingredients I wanted to dump into the pot, knowing that we need to begin drawing down the amount of frozen foods in the freezers before Aqua RV season.  I can proudly say that I emptied two partial bags of frozen veggies and six small plastic containers - all with differing kinds of veggies or meats.  Chopping up potatoes, carrots and green pepper completed the process, along with a myriad of spices......a pinch at a time.

Next I knew I wanted to mix up two different types of cookie dough for refrigeration today and baking tomorrow.  Done.  There was a big box of white mushrooms that I wanted to slice and saute.  Done.  A low-fat vegetable dip needed to be made for our car trip on Sunday.  Done.  Capt. Cook and I are trying a new recipe for poached salmon tonight and the marinade needed to be made.  Done.  Lastly, we were out of humus so a new batch needed to be blended.  Done.

Along the way I enjoyed some good coffee, ate lunch standing up (bad idea) and did some refrigerator reorganization.  Nothing was wasted today but about one-quarter cup of old pasta sauce I found in the refrigerator.  I was tired and my bare feet were a little sore.  I could feel the "whinys" approaching. 

Then I found the article about the mayor of Las Vegas, Carolyn Goodman, who is trying to live on food stamps; i.e. about $4.03 a day.  I realized just how fortunate we are to be able to purchase Omega-3 foods such as salmon steaks; how fortunate we are that I can keep the ingredients on hand to make a big pot of steaming soup to enjoy on cold, wintery nights; how fortunate we are that I have everything needed - at my fingertips - to mix up two cookie recipes; or how fortunate we are that I can say I made a low-fat veggie dip or sauteed fresh mushrooms, or made a fresh batch of humus. 

Good for you, Carolyn Goodman.  A good mayor you are.

Ancora imparo