Wednesday, August 25, 2010

When Plans Change

This morning, I had breakfast with a group of people I used to work with. This group meets on an intermittent basis throughout the school year. A highly diverse group, we are all bound by one single characteristic - the same school district. Getting together is akin to a high school class reunion where you get to 'check' everyone else out, to see who is still recognizable and who has morphed so much that they are no longer recognizable. Conversation always flows easily, punctuated constantly by the question, "What are you up to these days?"

It is fascinating that, even in retirement, whatever personality traits we displayed 'then', are still present - if not magnified - now. The cut-ups are still funny, the curmudgeons are still curmudgeonly, the smilers are still smilin' and the unhappys are still unhappy. Some are still 'plugged into' the grapevine and are fonts of information - both useful and useless - regarding what has happened, what is happening, and what will happen AND who is doing what, who did what, and who will do what. I always come away from these breakfasts feeling as if I'm up to speed on most everything and everyone.....to the point where it feels as if I never left!

To the point of the title of today's posting: It is not uncommon for several of the breakfast attendees to announce that they have had major changes in their lives. These changes almost always involve a medical/health status and, rarely, are these changes insignificant in nature. I am reminded that there are no guarantees in life and, I beg your pardon, God never promised us a rose garden. Plans can change in a heartbeat, can't they? Perhaps I should re-title this posting:

One Day At A Time

I think I'll change my afternoon plans and read a book.

Ancora imparo