Saturday, August 21, 2010

A CSI's Dream

Among my many bad habits is the one where I eat when I am using my laptop. It is so convenient (and relaxing) to eat breakfast or lunch and check email or stop by Facebook and see who said what. I am careful not to keep liquids near the laptop because I know that one spill could be a death knell for my beloved computer.

Crumbs, on the other hand, are another matter. Not crumbs from eating over the keyboard - I know better than that. I've discovered that tiny, minute food particles must stick to my fingers even when I think none are present.

Just the other day I was using my laptop without my mouse, and the mouse-pad area of the keyboard was kind of sticky. I kept thinking there must be something wrong with the mouse-pad area when I suddenly realized that the problem was between my skin and the surface. Upon careful visual and tactile inspection, I discovered that there was 'crud' on the pad. Looking even more carefully, I saw many little crumb particles between the keys. Granted, these are not chunks of food and they are small enough to make it hard to see them with the naked eye, but never-the-less, they are there.

My laptop would be a CSI's dream for collecting evidence. The trace evidence would show every food known to mankind with the exception of ice cream, which would be disgusting on a computer. Now a bowl, that would be another matter!

When January first comes around, I'll make a resolution to stop eating while I'm around my laptop.

Well, maybe..........

Ancora imparo