Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Changing Times

Change is coming.

We felt it in the wind on Sunday. This morning's temperature tells me I am correct. The geese are starting to behave differently. Facebook chatter (from both the student and parental perspective) is all about preparing to go back to school, or, in many cases, preparing to go off to college for the first time. My teacher-friends are returning to their classrooms in droves this week - either because the contract decrees it or their self-initiative demands it in order to prepare for the inevitable contractual decree.

Any way you slice it, change is coming.

In the community where I am currently staying, the local football team is doing two-a-day practices and city shops and businesses have posted the fall football schedule. Local big-box stores are jammed with back-to-school shoppers. In almost every aisle you see harried-looking moms - sometimes dads - accompanied by at least one child. The scenario is a bit different depending on the grade level of the kids and the number of offspring that have come along for the shopping trip. If the children are elementary, they are excited and asking the question, "Can I have this?" The parental response varies from "We'll see." to "No", to "We can't afford that." If the children are middle-school age or older, it is often the parent who is selecting the items and asking the child (or children) the question: "Is this OK?" The response often comes in the form of either eye-rolling or "Whatever."........my least favorite response EVER in the history of parenting.

And, my final clue that change is coming, is my still-annual feeling of restlessness, knowing that school is about to be in session and I am not. My SO sensed my disquieted state last night and asked me about it. You would think, since this is my fifth season of not returning to the classroom, that I would be over this but that is not yet the case. After our conversation, I began internally brainstorming, seeking personal ideas about what 'session' I could go into. My ideas ran from the sublime to the ridiculous. I do have another children's book steeping in my head like a good pot of tea. I'll enjoy creating it and the Three Musketeers will enjoy reading it or having it read to them. A win-win situation.

I'd better hurry and get going on my book idea. The times are changing and the Three Musketeers are growing up before my very eyes. If I tarry too long I'll need to writing college textbooks for them.

Ancora imparo