Thursday, August 19, 2010

Crosswalk Chicken

There are many parts of our great country where the pedestrian and the pedestrian crosswalk are king. In the 'king' areas of the United States, there are cameras to protect the rights of the pedestrian in the unfortunate instances where man meets machine. Man is no match for machine and even though man has the 'right-of-way', right does not make might. The cameras provide the legal proof of machine operators' infractions and tickets are issued to drivers who proceed through crosswalks even though pedestrians had their feet there first. But, I will repeat myself, right does not make might and it is foolish to believe that every driver will automatically give way to the fool who charges into the crosswalk without looking.

Then there are other parts of the country where the pedestrian and the pedestrian crosswalk are simply 'queen'. I am in a part of the country where this is the case. The crosswalks are clearly marked and cars are supposed to stop when a pedestrian enters the crossing zone but not all drivers respect or respond to the presence of a pedestrian who is about to cross the street. In fact, it is my observation that many drivers perceive the crosswalk law as just one more impedance in their daily work commutes and further perceive the unlucky pedestrian as just another obstacle to veer around, through, or over.

It is almost a sport that could have the name Crosswalk Chicken, as this posting titles indicates. Many a driver looks right at the pedestrian and continues forward or turns, regardless of the proximity of a human or group of humans. Groups are a bit harder to ignore because the point system acts as a deterrent and drivers, in general, dislike being sent to prison because they mowed down a group of people. Single pedestrians, on the other hand, provide a greater challenge. The driver must automatically size up the situation and think, to him or herself, "Will that person give or not?" It is not unusual to hear or see verbal or hand-signaled altercations occur between drivers and pedestrians. I find this type of driver to be rude and dangerous, but I am not stupid enough to feel comfortable testing the driver's willingness to give way - albeit legally in my favor - to me, the walking target posing the probability that the driver will have to slow down or stop momentarily.......heaven forbid.

I know this game has been going on for decades since the evolution of the Tin Lizzie. I am just thankful that I do not reside in a city like Chicago, for instance, where both drivers and pedestrians take their lives into their own hands just to move a short distance. At least here the rule is clear: Walker beware.

Every day I go for my morning perambulation and wonder if I'll win at Crosswalk Chicken or will it be my unlucky day.

Wish me luck!

Ancora imparo