Sunday, August 29, 2010

Attention: Captured and Kept

There are so many thoughts and observations from my morning at church that it is difficult to know where to start.

I got to hear one of our new pastors preach today. While most of the congregation had heard him once before, it was my first. I'd only heard rave reviews and he did not disappoint. He has a fresh approach, a Biblically solid message, an engaging style and a wicked sense of humor. A fine combination for a preacher. He "had me at hello" and never let me go. Not an easy task for someone speaking to adults.

From time to time, I'd look around at the other congregants, to see if they appeared as engaged as I was. Checking out my fellow worshippers wasn't difficult as I was seated in the very back row. I observed few - if any - yawns, obviously bored faces, restless physical movement or sleepers. When he came to the point in the sermon where he utilized his props of a Coke and Pepsi bottle, I could see others straining to see what he was doing - if their line of sight was slightly obscured. A good sign, thought I to myself.

After the service, during coffee time, there was much lively conversation regarding the sermon. This left me with the impression that he left an impression on people, which meant that they were listening! Also a positive sign! He had ended his message with several verbal challenges and those were being bandied about as well.

It could be that our congregation is in good hands, both on the terra firma side and the celestial side. Only time will tell, but, at first blush, I believe this to be the case. My next time in the sanctuary will be hopefully rewarded with an inspired and energetic message. I'm certain he'll bring his "A-game" and I'll be sure to bring mine!

Ancora imparo