Friday, March 13, 2009

Weighty Conversation

My Significant Other and I do have unusual conversations from time to time.

Most recently we realized our age was showing when we finished a conversation about arterial inflamation, psyllium husks, and the benefits of red wine to heart health. Where, we wondered, did the conversations go that were more along the lines of: "Grab your rollerblades, honey! Let's hit the walking path!" Or, "Do you want to go up with one or two skiis?"

Last night I chided my SO about not eating enough fresh fruit. Being the nutritional expert that I am, I said, "You have fresh fruit sitting right in front of you every day but you never eat it." And, I pointed (with great flourish, I might add) to two oranges I had placed on the fruit plate.

He replied, "Are those oranges sitting or setting there?" Being the linguistic expert that I am, I launched into an explanation of the difference between the two words, sit and set. Not to be outdone, he asked in return, "How do you know which end is the top of the orange? The orange has to be sitting on its behind to be seated."

Never wanting to lose a teachable moment, I explained that the navel is the top of the orange, therefore the orange is SITTING on its bottom. (Can you tell that the conversation is now deteriorating?) But, much like a dog who will not let go of his bone, my SO came back with, "My navel is right here (pointing with his own flourish) and my bottom is right here." (No pointing needed on that one.)



I think we need a conversation seminar ............at least we know where our navels and bottoms are.

Ancora imparo