Wednesday, March 11, 2009

How Will We Get Our News?

This past Sunday's local newspaper carried an editorial/blog synopsis from the paper's executive editor. One of her daily posts dealt with the future of newspapers - hard-copy tangible versus online. Reading Sunday's editorial prompted me to send an email to the executive editor, something I've never done before. Today on public radio, I happened onto a discussion of the future of newspapers and decided that kismet was beckoning me to blog about this topic.

Over the past few months, I've given some thought to my newspaper reading habits, or, should I say, ritual. In my quest to become 'green', I've contemplated canceling my newspaper subscription in order to cut down on the amount of paper that my household sends to recycling while also saving a few trees.

Sounds like a simple decision. Right?

Wrong!

What I realized is that reading my daily newspaper is far more than just gathering and processing information. The ritual of reading my newspaper involves more of a tactile experience than news digestion. The day begins with the physical act of being seated in my father's old chair, turning pages of newsprint and sipping freshly-brewed coffee. There is something about the feel of newsprint, the slight smear of ink on the finger tips, the sound of moving paper from page to page that cannot be duplicated on the computer.

I do understand, though, that my generation is probably the last one that will have access to newspapers as we now know them. The world is catapulting toward web-based news dissemination rather than paper-based newspapers and magazines. True, that trees will most likely be saved, but losing national and local/community newspapers will deprive many Americans from information sources that we currently take for granted.

What about those that do not have computers or internet service or live in regions where broadband is not available? Where will they get their news and information? When sources of information become limited then that means that fewer sources of information will exist and that is a warning sign for democracy's health.

There is no easy solution to this news revolution. The train is a-comin' and who knows who is on board and where the next stop is.

I don't.

Do you?

Ancora imparo