Monday, March 9, 2009

Just Who Are The Watchmen?

OK, so the big movie news is, currently, "The Watchmen". This is not a movie that I would be moved to see but I did hear a fascinating radio program about the film on Public Radio today. Part of the discussion moved around the "message" of the film and the question was raised, "Who watches the watchmen?"

Which then made me wonder, who are our modern-day watchmen? I don't mean the foot-soldier types who who fancy themselves as homeland vigilantes. I'm looking for those who really watch out for our nation and the human race, in general.

I sat for a bit and gave this some thought and my conclusions, naive as they might be, were troubling and disconcerting.

Aside from my Heavenly Father, I couldn't think of one human that I could put on the list. If you've followed my blog, you know that I place zero confidence in any politician from any party, at any level of government. That also goes for pop culture wanna-be leaders, public figures, television personalities, Hollywood-types, philosophers, etc. Perhaps the only human I would ever consider adding to "the watchmen of the watchmen" list is Charles Swindoll, a theologian and pastor.

Which then takes me to 'the final answer' that everything is in God's hands anyway and every way.

Ancora imparo