Sunday, March 22, 2009

Amazing!

Have I mentioned that technology is amazing?

I just Skyped with people in Haiti! So far away from where I sit, yet so close in terms of the camera, voices, images...........it was as if we were right in the same room!

I am continually in awe of the speed with which technology is moving. It seems faster than the speed of light and, most certainly, faster than me.

At times, I have the fear that unless I push myself to learn more and more about the internet, do more and more "online", I will be left behind in a cloud of technological dust. There is a book series entitled Left Behind. The gist of this series is a theological theme but I think it could apply to those of us in the world that are still using cursive writing, ciphering with slide rules, doing math with pencils that have the erasers chewed off, sending mail that actually uses postage stamps, dialing with rotary phones, riding our equines to the general store, getting our news from a daily newspaper, utilizing travel agents, shopping in 'real' stores, and using smoke signals. The world is moving at warp speed and my jalopy doesn't even have four cylinders.

It is comforting, however, that toddlers still like to play with puzzles, have books read to them, sit on laps and cuddle, play hide-and-seek, study bugs/beetles/and other creepy-crawly things, eat freshly baked cookies, use Crayola crayons, hit balls with bats, and give hugs to world-weary s who love them.

I like the slower, snail-pace of The Little Voice's world better than my world.

Ancora imparo