Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Are You My Friend?

"Are you my friend?" The Little Voice asked me?

TLV's mommy has been visiting another country for a few days and I have had the ultimate pleasure of being TLV's during this time.

We've searched for mean dinosaurs, nice dinosaurs, practiced our soccer-ball kicking skills, kissed each other's boo-boos, hugged each other, given each other kisses, played at the park, pushed each other in the swing, taken walks, gone 'jogging', read a gazillion books, sung a gazillion songs, played the piano, made pizza for real, made cookies for pretend, washed our hands together, practiced Yoga together, eaten meals together, enjoyed red and green cookies, watched Daddy and Grandpa make a custom closet, played 'ball', and, even given each other time-outs.

It is always fascinating to hear yourself parroted back from the view of a three-year-old. Everything, and I mean everything, is stored and processed in the brain of a three-year-old and you never quite know when you will hear your words again. When I was teaching, it was hilarious to hear myself when a student conductor would take the baton and pretend to be me.
Kids of every age remember EVERY detail. Too bad s don't have memories like their younger counter-parts.

Today I'm not ranting against the machine, greedy CEOs, the government, politicians or other self-absorbed wonks. ( I could not resist getting in at least one dig.)

Today I'm just relishing my time with TLV.

Life can be short and I want all the three-year-old hugs I can get processed into my memory!

Ancora imparo