Saturday, March 28, 2009

In The Bag

Recently, I had occasion to have my newspapers collected, saved, and delivered upon my return.

As a rule, I have my delivery stopped and resumed on a certain date. However, this time, I wanted to continue following a particular story and felt that too much continuity would be lost if I stopped delivery.

When I returned home, the newspapers were stuffed into a larger paper bag and waiting for me to peruse them at my leisure. I had five days worth of newsprint to page through but freshly ground and brewed coffee made the task an enjoyable one. After completion of my reading marathon, I reflected upon what I had read - and what I had not read.

Some of the stories were predictable: Continuing dissatisfaction with the present Washington D.C. administration, growing anger about corporate executives receiving lavish and undeserved bonus monies, NCAA bracket news, local-election candidate information, and assorted short articles about tragedies and accidents - area-related and national.

Refreshingly absent were stories about brainless Hollywood youngsters (and oldsters) who are dating, divorcing, denegrating themselves or dishing about someone else. I was also relieved to not see any articles about women giving birth to copious numbers of children or starlets and their spouses posing for yet another photo opportunity. Also thankfully missing were the First Lady's biceps and related comments regarding whether or not the public was seeing too much sleeveless styling on Pennsylvania Avenue.

It was sobering to read about the weather-related problems cropping up in the nation's mid-section and the valiant efforts being put forth to save communities from flooding. Mother Nature is relentless in her quest for dominance, but is that anything new? We cannot be surprised by the affected areas where Mother Nature flexes her muscles repeatedly. She has, over the centuries, left a trail of crumbs for clues and she has not deviated from her syllabus.

What I learned is that not much changed over the days that I had my newspaper held. I think I knew, deep down, that would be the case, but a person can hope, can't they?

Now I hear Mother Nature chipping away at my window. Perhaps it is time for yet another cup of java and, this time, a good book. May you do the same.

Ancora imparo