Sunday, March 29, 2009

Just When I Thought I Had It

I really thought I was making 'green' progress.

The 'experts' have declared that using a dishwasher saves a significant amount of water over hand-washing dishes, silverware, pots, pans and the like.

Being the gullible, easily-led American that I am, I believed the 'experts' and began using the dishwasher more often. I concluded that, because the 'experts' said so, it must be so. Furthermore, being 'green' is associated with seeming to be more 'American' and it is portrayed to be anti-American if we are not 'green'.

Now, lo and behold, the 'experts' are declaring that dishwasher products containing phosphates are not good for the environment. But wait, they say, "We have alternative products for you to use!", which is great except that, apparently, they either don't work well or are totally ineffective.

Not a problem, think I to myself. I'll just hand wash my dishes, silverware, pots, pans and the like. There are plenty of products for this process that do not contain phosphates.

But wait! Hand washing uses significantly more water than running a dishwasher. We must conserve our natural resources!

Hmmm. Consumers have a conundrum on their hands. Using too much water or eating on dirty utensils, cookware and dishes that are not adequately cleaned in the dishwasher. Hmmm.

Not to worry, think I to myself. I'll use disposable products, thereby saving water and avoiding the effective-yet-phosphate-laden cleaners.

But wait! Using disposable products will clog our landfills.

This sounds like Catch 22 or "Groundhog's Day". We are a nation of consumers chasing our environmental tails.

I think our ancestors had it right. Circle 'round those Conestoga wagons, create a firepit, haul out the cast iron plates, cups, cookware and the like. Rustle up some grub and then clean the dirty items by rubbing soil or sand on them. Dirt contains minerals and trace nutrients. We'll all be healthier and save the environment.

Ancora imparo