Friday, March 6, 2009

Just Cogitatin'

I read a quote by Richard D. Lamm that gave me pause to ponder:

Christmas is a time when kids tell Santa what they want and adults pay for it. A deficit is when adults tell the government what they want - and their kids pay for it.

This made me think about the word deficit. We all know what the current high-profile definition is because we are living with the largest deficit spending in our nation's history.

Perhaps there are deficits not financially-related. Here are a few that I brainstormed:

A deficit in listening to one another............
A deficit in hand-written communications...........
A deficit in face-to-face conversation.........
A deficit in 'scratch' cooking...........
A deficit in respecting life in general..........
A deficit in courtesy............
A deficit in caring...........
A deficit in getting to know our neighbors............
A deficit in prayer...........
A deficit in reading the Bible............
A deficit in singing............
A deficit in piano playing..............
A deficit in live musical productions.............
A deficit in crocheting............
A deficit in smocking...............
A deficit in living within our means..............
A deficit in laughter..............
A deficit in playing board games..............
A deficit in playing cards..............
A deficit in baking cookies..............
A deficit in making banana bread..............


I challenge each of us to remedy one of these deficits today.

I think I'll start by making some banana bread. That is an easy one. Then I can eat my deficit.

Ancora imparo