Thursday, December 29, 2011

Playing Ketchup and Stealing French Fries

What a wonderfully odd day!  Cooperative weather made for a gorgeous day for a drive and then a walk around Wisconsin's capitol area.  There were enough business people and students gone that driving and parking wasn't an issue, which is a rarity in Madison, Wisconsin.  We ate lunch at a great Irish pub, had excellent food and lively conversation.

Our lunches varied with an order of a grilled tuna sandwich (Capt. Cook), a medium-rare hamburger without the bun that was grilled to perfection (Favorite Eldest Daughter), Shepherds Pie (F.E.D's beau), and moi - who ordered a cup of delicious tomato basil soup and a half-salad topped with a crab cake.  Although the kitchen sent out the wrong salad and my crab cake was lukewarm, my food was otherwise tasty.  As usually happens, everyone else's plates looked tastier than mine and the french fries on Capt. Cook's and F.E.D.'s plates looked so tempting.  I was able to steal two french fries (also able to dip them in his ketchup) from Capt. Cook's plate until he caught on to what I was doing and he promptly forbade me to help myself to any more.  (Sigh.)  F.E.D. obligingly offered me a couple of bites of her semi-raw ground-round burger and it was to die for (perhaps literally and figurtively)........if you like your beef only a step away from mooing.  Her beau tried foraging some french fries off her plate but was roundly rebuffed as well.  He and I decided that this protective-food tendency was genetic.

Later, while on our way home from Wisconsin's capitol, Capt. Cook and moi stopped to purchase some groceries in a city about twenty miles north of us.  As we were leaving the store who should stop us but a friend from our summer boating stomping grounds.  More "ketchup".  We arrived home and shortly after that I received a phone call from a friend of almost thirty years ago, in another time, place and - it seems - lifetime.  We talked for over an hour.  More "ketchup".  Upon hanging up with her, I proceeded to check my email.  I found wonderful pictures of Musketeer Number One and his classroom's Christmas party and then discovered an email from a high school friend.  More "ketchup".

Yes, it was a french fry and ketchup day.  A great day......a great day, indeed......even if I only did get to steal two french fries. 

Ancora imparo