Tuesday, December 6, 2011

More Change

More change is a-comin, right on down the ro-oad.  Right on down, right on down, right on down the ro-oad.  I can feel the tracks a rumblin', I can hear the whistle blowin' and the big ol' headlight is blinding me as the change locomotive roars at me.

What am I talking about?

Electronics.  They are a part of my life, I accept that, I welcome that and I embrace my electronic "friends".  While electronics can enhance life with ease of some tasks, simplify life with the elimination of other tasks, and enrich life with easy accessibility of information and friends, electronics can also create conditions of great frustration and stress - however fleeting.

My laptop had a tiny change made to it yesterday and I have a new learning curve - albeit a small one - but never-the-less a vexing one.  While I am not certain exactly how to describe the change, I think it involves my thumb-key pad, like the "mouse" area of my laptop.  Unlike my old laptop, where I was accustomed to "clicking" on icons with my thumb pad, my new laptop is very sensitive to touch and my uber-sensitive thumb-key pad was getting me into trouble constantly.  Now my thumb-key pad is turned off for clicking and I have to use the bar below the pad, just like the left and right parts on my mouse.  Yesterday was a giant learning curve and I am still automatically using the thumb-pad to "click" but not quite as often as twelve hours ago. Just like "the little train that could", I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

Then my "new" old phone was finally freed for my use yesterday.  Gone is the borrowed Blackberry that I was just becoming comfortable with.  Here to stay, at least for the near future, is an older "smart phone", internet capable but without the bells and whistles of Capt. SO's new iPhone 4S.  (Lucky man!) I have new horizons to conquer, unfamiliar finger patterns to become accustomed to and the most annoying factory-reset ring tone ever.  The obnoxious ring tone will be the first to go this afternoon when I "play" with my new phone.

I will repeat my self:  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

An"can"a imparo