Thursday, December 15, 2011

Laurels Do Not Work As A Chair

"Don't rest on your laurels."  How many times have I, or you, heard that?  My parents were fond of saying that to me for as long as I have memory and could figure out just what the word "laurel" meant.  Once I realized that the basic meaning of "laurel" is "accomplishment" then I moved on to trying to understand what it meant to "rest" on them.  After I figured out that, the rest was easy.  Well, understanding it was easy, not resting on accomplishments is a bit more difficult, perhaps.

Which brings me to the umbrella thought in my head today:  Just because someone does something "good" in recent days past, does that give that person a bye for multiple days to come?

This rationale for not doing the job was given to me recently.  When I heard the individual say that she/he had not followed through on normal job-related tasks because of a recent accomplishment I thought to myself, "Poppycock!"  What kind of reason is that for not doing your job?

Let's take, for instance, a surgeon who successfully completes a procedure on Monday (for argument's sake) at 9 a.m. but has a full surgical calendar the rest of the day and subsequent days thereafter.  Does the surgeon's one successful operation give him or her license to cancel the other procedures that follow?  I think not!

In the same vein, just because I presented a successful lesson plan, in my classroom, on Wednesday, does not mean that I can serve cake and candy while watching movies for every rehearsal time after that for a week or even a day.   Nay, nay.  Work must go on and momentum must be channeled.  Just because I feel that I need or deserve "a break today" does not make it necessarily so. 

No, laurels do not work as a chair or any other piece of furniture on which to recline, recuse, repose or re-charge.  Laurels are there as a navigation tool alone and should be referenced only in terms of past accomplishments, not tickets for future accolades.

Ancora imaro