Monday, December 12, 2011

Enough Already!

I think one-day sales are out of control.  Every store, everywhere has every thing on sale, or so it seems.  Do you have a special Christmas gift, perhaps a hard-to-find item, that you need to purchase? Just wait.  It will eventually be included in a one-day sale, somewhere. 

The trouble with these one-day sales is that the advertising seldom gets to all of the target audience, due to either no newspaper subscription, no cell phone with internet capability, computers with dial-up speed, or late U.S. mail deliveries.  Unless you drive to your favorite store daily during the thirty-or-so days between Thanksgiving and Christmas, you may very well miss the one-day sale for what you would like to buy on sale instead of full-price. 

Perhaps the American consumer is becoming immune to the wiles of retailing.  Consider the conversation I was part of recently where the over-riding opinion was that retail stores may have one-day sales with seemingly deep discounts.......only after they raised their prices to compensate for the anticipated loss of revenue.

My wish-list for one-day sales changes depending on where I live, my age/stage in life, and my current interests and hobbies.  There was a time when my radar would have been screening for toys, children's clothing, men's dress clothes and briefcases.  Then I went through my aerobic dancing phase (which actually lasted for years) and I would look for matching leotards, tights, and leg-warmers.....some of which I still have although now they are only for memory-sake.  A more recent phase would have been anything dog-related like chew toys, kongs, doggie treats, leashes, pet beds, etc.  As expected, with age, when we regress, I am now once again looking for one-day sales on children's clothing and toys, with an occasional peek at i-Phones, i-Pads, emeralds, and BMWs. 

Sadly, what I could really use a one-day sale on would be septic-pumping services, window washing, heating-vent and gutter cleaning, weed-pulling, and indoor vacuuming.  If you see sales on any of the aforementioned, please let me know A.S.A.P.

Happy Holly Daze from Ancora Imparo