Saturday, June 19, 2010

What Is Age, Anyway?

Age.

What is it? Why is it important? Why do we care so much about age?

To answer my own first question, age is a chronological measure of one's life on this planet.

To answer my second question, age is important for many reasons. I assign an importance to my age because the mirror tells me something is different. Society assigns importance to age because it is a barometer for voting, driving, and drinking.....possibly owning a firearm - I'm not certain about that.....running for certain national political offices, movies one can see without a parent or guardian, when you can first attend school, when you can receive immunization shots, and, when you can get your ARP card and other senior-citizen discounts.

To answer my third question about why we care so much about age......now that is the interesting one to ponder......the question that truly opens Pandora's Box and all of the faeries flutter out. Just why does age matter so much? Our American society does not venerate the elderly like other countries do, but, perhaps that is because in many other countries, the extended family is a societal foundation. When extended families live together, under one roof, the eldest are, most likely, vital in the child-rearing process and therefore are necessary, although not necessarily appreciated.....just necessary.

We are reminded of aging on a daily basis as the air waves and print media constantly throw 'looking youthful' at us. We are bombarded with images of wrinkle-free and stick-shaped males and females who look as if they just stepped out of the fountain of youth. Clearly, media would have us believe that we should never look old.

We have jokes, television shows, and theatre productions that deride and poke fun at relationships where there is a pronounced age difference. 'Robbing the cradle', 'cougars', 'boy toy', 'trophy wife' are some of the terms that come to my mind when I think of how we describe larger-than-usual age differences in relationships or marriages. I've used these phrases without thought, never giving pause to consider that feelings for others do not need to equate with what we think of as 'normal' age differences.

Then there is the word 'normal', a concept most definitely just as vexing as aging and its ramifications.

I won't touch 'normal'. I wouldn't recognize it if it was looking at me in the mirror!

Ancora imparo