Sunday, June 13, 2010

It Went To My Head

Remember the old adage, "Don't let it go to your head."? The gist of this saying basically means that people should keep in mind that, no matter how great or wonderful they become, they always put their pants on one leg at a time, just like all the rest of us. Another variation of this would be, "Make sure your head still fits through the door!"

Last night, I experienced a different slant on "Don't let it go to your head".........only it did.

My SO and I decided to try out a newer, local restaurant that we had not yet taken the opportunity to dine at. In preparation for our upcoming anniversary, we thought this would be the perfect place to hold our annual conversation regarding the renewal of our marital contract. Everything was looking good.......nice table, dusky ambiance, spirited conversation, tasty appetizer and excellent wine. We had each found entrees that we were looking forward to consuming. For him it was an Indian-inspired scallop dish, for me, a pepper-crusted ahi tuna steak, prepared medium-rare.

Our pleasant and attentive waitress brought our entrees and we both agreed that we were pleased with our choices. My tuna steak, while a little heavy on the peppercorns, was excellently prepared, just to my liking. It was nestled on a bed of 'grass', as I called it. I don't know what the weed-like looking stuff was that I was eating but its flavor and texture appealed to my palette. About half way through my tuna steak, I twirled another forkful of the grass, took the bite,and, WHAM, a jolt of heat-lightning slammed through my sinus cavities, straight up through the center of my head. Horseradish, for sure, only this horseradish was unlike any variety I've ever tasted.

I like horseradish. I grew up eating it, mostly smothering any egg that Mom put before me. My dad raised it in his large garden and his homemade recipe had more 'fire' in it than any jar you would ever purchase in a grocery store. I know that, for me, horseradish is a flavorful accompaniment to foods, but I prefer to ingest it in small, if not tiny, quantities at a time. That is, when I am aware that it is present.

I did not know that, underneath the 'grass' I was eating, lurked horseradish, and lots of it. My body's reaction was typical.....heat, sweating, and tears, lots of tears. They flowed, uninvited and unchecked, from the corners of my eyes. The waitress happened to stop by during my siege, and I could tell she felt bad for her customer that was in such obvious distress. Even the ingestion of water, which I immediately reached for, didn't help quell the horseradish heat.

Fortunately, the episode was relatively short-lived, the searing heat waned and I was able to enjoy the rest of my meal. But, I am here to tell you that, it really did 'go to my head'......and how.

Ancora imparo