Friday, June 18, 2010

Perspicacious

The word 'perspicacious' simply popped into my head, for no apparent reason. I've seen the word in print many times, over the years, and today when it zapped my brain, I felt compelled to look up the meaning and then write a blog posting about it.

Of course, now that I've laid my thought 'out there', I have to produce. This will be the fun part.

I had an idea of the word's meaning but I was not certain so I went to the small Webster's Dictionary that I keep on the aqua RV and discovered that this small version doesn't even have the word 'perspicacious' in it. Some dictionary! I miss my big volume from home but it is too big and heavy to keep on the aqua RV and Capt. SO is very sensitive to adding additional anythings. Maybe a bag of feathers but that is about all he would OK.

I resorted to Googling the word and found that it means thoughtful with keen understanding, wise and insightful.

I instantly wondered if I would ever be described as behaving with perspicaciousness. Not likely now but maybe someday when I can barely move, see and breathe. Then I began a mental inventory of just what or who could be described as perspicacious, i.e. thoughtful with keen understanding - wise and insightful. A wise old owl, the old mouse from Teen-Aged Mutant Ninja Turtles, some peoples' grandparents (not us), Frank - the sixty-four inch Musky that never gets caught, the old man from Star Wars, Walter Cronkite, Eric Sevareid........that was all I could think of on the spot.

I was able to think of some people who will never be described as perspicacious: Helen Thomas, the Chairman of BP and Hollywood starlets but then I could not think of anyone else to add to this list. Perhaps that is a good thing. Our world just may possess more individuals with perspicacity than previously thought.

I wonder if writing about being perspicacious will imbue me with perspicacity?

Tomorrow I'll write about beauty and brains.

Ancora imparo