Sunday, June 27, 2010

Instant Feedback

My previous posting, "Possessed and Obsessed: The Same?", no sooner had dried ink than I received a phone call from a friend who receives Ancora imparo electronically as soon as it is posted. After declaring that the question was too intriguing to not address, we had a brief, laughter-filled conversation and I promised that I would continue the train of thought about whether being possessed and/or obsessed were one in the same. We agreed that we each hold traits that could be described as 'being possessed' or obsessed, but we also agreed that those traits are exactly what makes the other person interesting.

What is it that draws us to other people? I'll wager that it is not the traits that could put one to sleep, but, rather the traits that are a bit quirky and eccentric - traits that could possibly be described as 'being possessed' or obsessed. Some weirder characteristics are best left in Pandora's Box, but I've written about a few of mine.....like my aversion to cat litter. I am constantly on the lookout for the tiny pieces of cat litter that Cranky Kitty scatters on the hardwood floors because I go barefoot a lot and I dislike, immensely, stepping on it. I don't think I've ever publicly discussed my refusal to deal with sub-standard music stands (no pun intended) but the members of the choir I direct will tell you that I am very particular about the quality and condition of my music stand. If any part of the stand is loose, forget it. I will not direct with it and will spend time searching out one that is in good, working order before I will begin a rehearsal. I am also obsessed with not letting glassware and stainless steel air-dry in the dish-draining rack because I can't stand to look at water spots. Try calling me on your phone if your number shows up as a blocked or unidentified number and I will not answer your call. If your call begins immediately with the words, "Who is this?", I'll counter with, "No, who is this?".

Yes, I am quirky, eccentric, possessed and obsessed but unwilling to apologize for any one of the four traits. In my case, all four are the same, so I just answered my own question.

Now it is your turn. Are they the same for you?

Ancora imparo