Thursday, June 24, 2010

They Leave A Hole

My friend had to put his dog to sleep this morning. His Facebook status was heart-wrenching, to say the least. He loved that dog maybe more than himself.

I can remember, only too well, how my SO and I felt when we had to put our dog 'to sleep'. Losing a pet leaves this big hole in your heart, whether the pet was large or small, and the hole feels as if it can never be closed. After we came home, that awful day, from the vet's office, I sat down at my computer and wrote a letter to Max. Penning my thoughts about his life and absence did provide me with solace, although some might have scoffed at my actions. I still have lots of pictures of Max in my office and now I smile every time I look at them.

We still miss that dog, maybe every day, in some way. His presence is still fresh in our memories and probably will be for many years to come. Hardly a day goes by that we don't speak Max's name for one reason or another. Pets love us unconditionally and beyond. Our dog instinctively knew when either one of us needed cheering up and he snuggled close and often. Although he was not a small dog, he saw himself as a lap dog and we have the pictures to prove it.

A dog really is man's best friend. My friend's dog's name was Louie Alphonse, quite a dignified name for the dog that had personality plus, much like his owner.

Louie, this one's for you.

Ancora imparo

Louie, this one's for you.