Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Something Came Over Me

This is a public confession. I'm reasoning perhaps, if I make a public pronouncement that I 'done wrong', it will serve to somehow mitigate the circumstance I found myself in today.

It was about three o'clock, p.m. My initial intent was to return two remotes to the media room and then perambulate down to a room where I would turn in my two dollars towards a going-away luncheon. At this point, my intentions seemed pure. Little did I know that once I turned the last corner, Satan's tempters would begin their siren song - directed at moi!

I rounded the corner toward the teacher's room to turn in the money and I saw the door to the staff lounge, where earlier a farewell luncheon - ala Bon Voyage theme - had been held. During lunch, I ate the food I had prepared and brought with me, munching only on some extra forbidden treats. "Not too many", I told myself at lunch, and I stayed true to my self-entreaty.

However, at three o'clock p.m., with my resolve and will power severely depleted and, after dropping off the two dollars, I felt drawn to the lounge like a moth to a flame. I entered the teachers' lounge and there it was, still on the small side-table. Not a large box, 'orange-ish' in color, filled with a dangerous, possibly-life-threatening snack......yet I was not able to resist the strong pull to walk towards the box.

With hands shaking, legs trembling, breath shallow and rapid, I took a napkin, folded it out, and reached for the box. My fingers quickly found the edges and a firm grasp took hold of the box. My other hand easily located the opening of the box top and eager fingers slid open the cardboard. Next came the inner pouch, which gave way with little resistance, only to reveal the contents. Tipping the box, out tumbled about two dozen. I know that I should have stopped pouring at once but I found I was defenseless at the sight of those little orange-ish squares.

Yes, this afternoon, I ate two dozen Cheese-Its. I haven't eaten Cheese-Its since the Holly Daze and I am certain my cholesterol levels will reflect my dietary indiscretion.

There you have it. I've acknowledged my sin for today. Satan grabbed hold of my taste buds and gave me my 'devil-may-care' attitude.

Let's all pray that the box is gone by tomorrow. I am weak in the presence of Cheese-Its.

Ancora imparo