Friday, October 16, 2009

Where The Thoughts Are

"Where are my thoughts today?", I asked myself this morning.

That was an easy question to answer because a short while ago my SO and I had a conversation about friends and that is where my thought-center was still focused as I sat down to commune with my laptop.

As is the norm, thinking about friends generated questions, most of which are rhetorical, but the process of searching out answers provided insight. "What is a friend"? "Who are my friends?" "Where are my friends?" "When does a person become a 'friend'?" "Why do I need friends?" (You see, the who, what, when, where and why questions used in journalistic stories apply here, too.)

A few months ago the Readers' Digest included a page of quotes on friendship that I thought was worthy of saving. I tore it out and it has been secured at eye-level in front of me in my office area. These quotes speak to friendship far more eloquently that I ever could so I'll share a few of my favorites in this posting.

"You find out who your real friends are when you're involved in a scandal." Elizabeth Taylor

"It's the ones you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter." Marlene Dietrich

"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." Walter Winchell

"Everybody wants to ride with you in the limo, but what you need is somebody who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down." Oprah Winfrey

"You can always tell a real friend. When you've made a fool of yourself, he doesn't feel you've done a permanent job." Laurence J. Peter

"A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked." Bernard Meltzer (radio host and personality)

I hope I have given you readers some food for thought and sources of smiles for today.

Ancora imparo