Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Bosses' Day

This morning I noticed that 'National' Bosses' Day is just two days away. I once was vigilant about the date of this now-yearly 'observance', but since I presently have no boss other than myself, I do not pay attention to when the 'National Card Company' says we should mark the date. It is, after all, the 'National Card Company' that controls what holidays and other special days we observe, playing on our sense of guilt if we collectively do not spend billions of our hard-earned dollars on what? Candy, flowers, CARDS, postage and the like - just because a Fortune 500 Company says we should?

To 'fess up, I always had a little 'something' (usually baked) for my boss on Bosses' Day. Not that I felt obligated - because I did not, but rather because I believed (and still do) that decent bosses should be rewarded for being just that - decent. There are too many people in charge of workers that have no business, expertise, experience or desire to manage others. Even 'good' bosses (and I do realize that this is a subjective term) have bad days. We all do.

It would be presumptuous of me to describe a 'good' boss because that is an individual determination. But I do remember why I enjoyed some bosses (seventeen, that I can remember) more than others during the course of my career. I connected best with the boss who had a sense of humor, wasn't afraid of a strong-personalty female, gave praise when it was deserved and constructive criticism when necessary, supported me in public (even if I was chewed upon later in private), was capable of holding a point-counterpoint conversation, could disagree fairly, and could acknowledge if I had the better idea.

Admittedly, this description fits only a small percentage of supervisory personnel, but I have had the privilege of working with a few of the best. I miss the repartee' of the workplace and the built-in chance to say "Happy Bosses' Day".

Ancora imparo