Sunday, October 4, 2009

That Time of Year

OK, so the summer is officially over. I would instinctively know this even if the calendar hadn't printed the fact after September 21st. Here are the Top Ten ways I know summer has passed:

Number One: The poignancy returns each August (and stays for a couple of months) that I do not step into my classroom once again.

Number Two: The days are noticeably shorter, a fact that takes some adjustment on my part regarding what time it is and gosh....I forgot to make dinner!

Number Three: The house has a delicious coolness to it, without an assist from the air conditioner.

Number Four: The leaves are beginning their dazzling array of color-teasing.

Number Five: It is harder to poke my head out from under the warmth of the bedcovers in the morning.

Number Six: The boat gets put to 'bed' this week.

Number Seven: Some morning walks now require gloves and ear muffs.

Number Eight: Those annoying toy commercials are already airing - with children's Christmas lists in mind.

Number Nine: Halloween displays have been in stores for several weeks now. Also annoying.

The Top Ten reason I know that summer has passed is that my favorite Apple Orchard has my favorite doughnuts ready to eat. Due to my advancing age and cholesterol levels that are out-pacing my age, I can only eat one doughnut per year. But that one doughnut I will eat and enjoy.

May all of you enjoy your doughnut, too!

Ancora imparo