Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Watching Paint Dry

Have you ever sat and watched paint dry? I never have but watching paint dry is certainly an analogy for sitting through or observing purely boring activities. Actually, as I think through life, we experience hundreds of boring activities that we either inflict on ourselves due to responsibility or commitment or others inflict upon us and we endure those situations because we are imbued with the politeness gene.

Have you ever been in a situation where, as a participant or observer, you felt as if you were watching paint dry? I was recently caught in one of those awkward moments where there was no graceful escape and I survived by creating internal visualizations of Asian Beetle races, margaritas and sunny beaches, shredding personal documents, and cleaning out my coat closet.

The dilemma surrounding a paint-drying-moment is that the creators of such an event are well-meaning individuals, often well-known to us. Consequently we plaster on a cheery smile, we express words of thanks and support and we leave with deep teeth indentations in our tongues........the latter if we are smart.

My tongue is still healing. At the very least, I must be certain to NEVER orchestrate and inflict a paint-drying moment on others. Noodle-lash me if I do!

Ancora imparo