Monday, October 5, 2009

Horn Happy

The sixty-minute drive north is normally an uneventful route, interstate all the way, and a good opportunity to listen to public radio - either talk or classical music. I like to get a large coffee from the Golden Arches and prepare to relax in the confines of my automobile's comfy interior. I know "the way to San Jose" like the back of my hand.

Today was a perfect driving day. Partly sunny or partly cloudy - depending on your perspective - no rain, no snow - yet, and a week day, so heavy traffic was not a high probability. The color snippets from the maple trees is just beginning to tease the eye and I was not disappointed in that regard.

What I did encounter was a few horn-happy drivers. Horn cacophony came twice from semi-trucks. The horn blasts were long and repeated and accompanied by sudden brake lights. Both times, I was immediately behind the aggrieved trucker and could not see why or to whom the horn blasts were directed. Fortunately, I am not a tailgater and I was able to quickly react to the unexpected brake lights in front of me. Perhaps more fortunate for me, was the fact the the driver on my tail was able to react to my sudden brake lights. Such is life on the interstate.

What I did not expect was what happened when, on my return trip home, I pulled off the interstate at my exit and halted my forward motion at the stop sign. Waiting for traffic from my left to clear so I could make my right hand turn, I sat through the semi in front of me making his turn, and then three vehicles approaching from my left. Suddenly the SUV behind me began blaring his horn.......at me. My first reaction was to turn into the one lane available until I realized, at this juncture, that lane is for right hand turns only and I needed to go straight through the intersection. The rude man behind me continued to lay on his horn but I held my own until I could pull into the correct lane. Various reactions, both verbal and physical, came as inspirations to me. Just as I began my turn, I did shake my finger at him vigorously (my index finger, mind you). As you might expect, as soon as I made my turn he roared past me from behind and I took the opportunity to shake my finger at him one last time.

I know, I know. Scolding a fellow driver is not effective - what-so-ever........but it did make me feel better.

I hope it wasn't anyone I know!

Ancora imparo