Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Pairings

This is National Newspaper Week and for those of you who know me well, you are aware of how fond I am of my daily newspaper. Perhaps fond is not the best verb to describe my attachment to the ritual of reading a newspaper. I have an almost primal urge to read the newspaper each day, savoring the kinesthetics of turning the pages and the tactile nature of hand touching newsprint. (OK, so I'm a bit weird.)

My local newspaper has been running an ad the past few days espousing the lure of " a newspaper and coffee". I can identify with the ad because that is a heady and alluring combination for me. This ad took my brain to other combinations - pairings, if you will - that I find personally irresistible. Maybe you will find some of your favorites on my list.

The listing of these pairing does not imply any endorsement nor statement of healthy versus non-healthy.

Fruit and chocolate
Milk and cookies
Dinner and a movie
Fish and chips
Peanut butter and jelly
Cake and ice cream
Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet
Hot dogs and beans
Coffee and cream
Tea and crumpets
Bacon and eggs
Salt and pepper
Soup and a sandwich
Pickles and ice cream
Meat and potatoes
Bread and butter
Flowers and candy
Popcorn and a movie
Peanut butter and chocolate
Potatoes and gravy
Biscuits and gravy
Turkey and dressing
Cheese and crackers
Bread, cheese and wine
Milk and cereal
Butter and toast
Sugar and cinnamon
Peaches and cream
Macaroni and cheese
Chips and salsa
Pancakes and syrup
Bagels and lox
Bagels and cream cheese
Bacon, lettuce and tomato
Pork and beans
Toast and jam
Bagels and blintzes
Cheese and mushrooms
Sausage and pepperoni
Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions........
Chicken and biscuits

Oh my. I just made myself very hungry and I've just scratched the surface. I'm certain that this list could become lengthy if a group of people sat down and brainstormed additional pairings. I've just amazed myself at how many pairing phrases we use in every day speech and print that involve food.

I think I should stick with a newspaper and coffee. Fewer calories.

Ancora imparo