Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Triaging "I Cares"

Triaging is a fascinating concept, is it not?  It first came to my attention as a medically-oriented term.  My first introduction to "triage" was in reference to a domestic natural disaster years ago and a Red Cross worker described "triaging" the survivors.  Loosely, I think of it as dividing the injured into three categories:  The walking wounded with minor injuries, serious but non-life-threatening injuries and life-threatening injuries. 

It occurs to me that the same categorization has application to many life-situations.  Do we not triage (Franklin-Covey calls this prioritization) our actions, activities, tasks - even human interactions - on a daily basis? 

The past twenty-four hours have seen me seemingly bombarded with issues that I should - and do - care deeply about but there is only so much I can comprehend, absorb, or even do.  Being called to action must be well-planned and thought out.  Being called to action requires at least some forethought as what one would do, how one would do it and for how long.  Just because I feel a passion and concern for a person, group or unfortunate situation does not mean that the skills, gifts, talents, and resources I have at my disposal are appropriate or even welcomed.  Countless stories have been written about the caring responses to disasters where disaster sites are overwhelmed with supplies and clothing.  Overwhelmed to the point that the feeling and actuality of being overwhelmed deters and derails the over-arching task of helping those who are affected by the disaster. 

I also came to the realization that, sometimes, we humans need to triage our stresses.  I can only carry X-number of stresses in my brain and heart until the burden becomes too heavy and I begin to sink so low to the ground (euphemistically speaking) that I become almost paralyzed with stress and worry. 

Today just might be one of those days.  I will now triage my thoughts.  My first order of business will be to read the newspaper and drink my coffee.  The world can wait.

Ancora imparo