Thursday, April 26, 2012

Erstwhile Early Travels

Mid-spring, early morning - a perfect combination of driving.  You can be fairly confident that, other than torrential rain, driving conditions will be tolerable if not downright ideal - which is exactly what they were this morning at 6:00 a.m. 

I had to drive twenty minutes to the larger city south of here, then about ten more minutes of city driving - city driving that is tame-to-sleepy compared to REALLY BIG-CITY driving, but all city driving is relative to what one is accustomed to. 

The road I favor to travel southward from here is a state highway and traffic was light at 6:00 a.m.  Turning onto the state highway was extremely easy and I fell in line behind a motorcyclist.  I kept my distance so as not to give any impressions of crowding, but by keeping a respectable distance between him and me, a space was created that seemed to encourage cross-traffic drivers to continually dart in front of the motorcyclist, often at intervals that seemed uncomfortably close. 

As I motored south, I mentally gave thanks as I safely cleared each intersection known for higher-than-average accident-incident rates.  The hour was early enough that even the highway-expansion heavy equipment was unmanned and motionless.  City streets were quiet and I was fortunate to catch mostly green traffic signals. 

Yes, an easy, early morning drive.  Too early for the masses and crazies.  Except for the fact that my public radio station was still on news and information and not classical music, it was a beautiful and peaceful beginning to my day. 

I was thankful.

Pax

Ancora imparo