Saturday, April 28, 2012

Siri Doesn't Like The Heat In the Kitchen

My phone and I are not getting along with one another.  Or, to put it another way, my phone has rung way too much today.  I'm at ten phone calls and counting. 

It is not that I mind that people call me and, subsequently, my phone rings, but today I've been in the kitchen for the greater part of six hours, most of that time spent either mixing, greasing, chopping, stirring, draining, straining, layering, measuring, or opening/draining cans.  My hands have been messy for most of that time, making it not-so-good to touch my phone.  At least Siri did not call me out on touching the phone with less than pristine fingers.  One call was answered by me placing the tip of my nose on the phone's screen and dragging it across, as my finger would if it were sliding to unlock the screen.  Other calls have had to go to voice mail and be answered, quickly, at a later time.  I've used my nose to activate the phone's speaker so I could talk while cooking and I've held the phone with paper towels in both hands so as not to get food substances all over it. 

In between cooking, I managed to squeeze in four loads of laundry by running back and forth, using my denim pants to wipe my hands on.  Rice, both cooked and uncooked, has been spilled on the floor - thank goodness for paper towels - as have quite a few kernels of frozen corn.  I've dirtied more mixing bowls, measuring devices, cutting boards, knives and stirring spoons in one day than I have in a long time.  While rooting for pepper flakes (which I ultimately could not find among my spices), I discovered what Capt. SO has been complaining about for many moons:  Our spice Lazy Susan needs re-organizing. Through it all, the phone has remained a constant - constantly being moved here and there on the countertops so as not to get spilled on or inadvertently dropped.

Siri as come in handy today as I have tried cooking and communicating simultaneously.  She has kindly texted people while I was busy reading a recipe and fetching vegetables and she even helped me find a substitution for an ingredient I did have not have in the pantry.

Siri may not like the heat in the kitchen but she was a venerable companion today, regardless of what I threw at her.  She is content on counters, pockets, wrapped in paper towels, or stuffed in a drawer.

I sort of feel as if I was stuffed into a drawer.  Maybe Siri can find a vacation spot for me tonight?!

Ancora imparo