Saturday, April 7, 2012

Everyday Rhythms

Shutting off the stereo,  I walked to the coffee pot to pour a warm-up and headed to my office.  I suddenly became aware of the familiar rhythm to the scuffing of my feet on the wooden floor and the identifiable beat of the washing machine as its agitation cycle attempted to extract all things dirty from the clothes floating around in the cylinder.

Rhythm.  It is everywhere.  When I stop to carefully examine everyday rhythms, I realize they can be found around every corner and in every nook and cranny.  Think about it.  I'll wager a bet that you have established a certain rhythm to your tooth-brushing.  The shower head emits a regular pulse that resembles a rhythm.  The consistent beeping of the microwave signaling completion of a warming cycle.  The two-beep reminder that the oven's pre-warming time is over.  The rotation of the tires on highways, rolling over every seam positioned at regular intervals can create a mesmerizing sound that has been known to lull people into states of semi-alertness.

Certain birds have an identifiable rhythm to their calls.  Capt. SO's phone wake-up alarm is a quacking duck that has a rhythmic and unique alert that gets one's attention.  When my sister kneads bread dough by hand, there is a rhythm she gets into.  I have a stirring rhythm (as opposed to an inspirational rhythm) that I use when I beat ingredients by hand.

Have you ever paid attention to the rhythm you create when you type?  Well, I should say, when you type with the old-school method taught in keyboarding classes.  If you watch many youth and oldsters alike, they type with one finger, two fingers, thumbs, anything that can press the keys accurately.  But, if you type via proper keyboarding technique, it is possible to create quite the rhythm.  In fact, as I have written in the past, if I am listening to my I-tunes play list and typing, it is hard not to try to type in rhythm with the beat of the music.

When we had our beloved dog, Max and the other highly missed pooch, Oskar, the rhythm of their toe-nails on the vinyl, tile or wooden floors would immediately indicate what they were up to and whether or not an owner should go flying to investigate.  The same with the predictable jingling of their dog tags.  What the tags' sounds told you could be the precursor of eventual mayhem or mischief! 

Rhythm is everywhere - not just in music - although you could make the argument that there is music in everyday rhythms.  Take the time to listen - and enjoy- your everyday rhythms.  You can make beautiful music all by yourself!

Ancora imparo