Friday, April 27, 2012

Earth To Businesses

Sometimes customer-business employee interaction can be of a positive nature. 

Over the past twenty-four hours I have encountered extremely helpful and knowledgeable store employees.  Employees like a manager at Marshalls who looked up my transaction from two days prior because I had torn off the bottom part of my receipt because I get soooooooo annoyed with the overly long customer-receipts that are printed off these days.  I thought for sure that the receipt would still have the necessary information, in the event of a need-to-return, but, alas and alack, it did not.  She probably did not have to go back into the electronic records to ascertain that I did, indeed, purchase the purse, but she did and I was able to return it. 

This morning there was an extremely helpful employee at a bank where Capt. SO and I stopped to inquire about a program.  She politely answered questions and conversed with us for almost thirty minutes, even though we did not have an account there at present.  You can be sure that if we decide to do business with and a different financial institution, her bank will be the one we select. 

We went to breakfast at our favorite breakfast haunt and the customer service and food quality was up to its normal excellent standards.  It is easy to see why their parking lot is almost always full.  The waitstaff is well-trained, efficient, and friendly.  Their kitchen staff must be well-trained because the breakfast food is consistently well-prepared, hot, and quickly served. 

I ran into my local library to check out a book on hold.  As I handed my library card to the clerk, I noticed that the expiration date was about two months away.  I inquired if I could renew it now, whilst I was thinking about it and the answer came back "yes".  Smart move on the library's part.

Capt. SO and I shopped at a local, big-box-type store's grand opening.  The store was crawling with employees, all identifiable by one of two colors of shirts, and the store was crammed with shoppers, most of whom were pushing shopping carts.  It was a zoo but the employees were doing a great job of helping customers, MOST of the customers were friendly and patient with one another and the store had seen fit to open all of its check-out lanes.  Cha-ching, cha-ching could be heard up and down the check-out lanes.  Music to the managers' ears, I'm certain.

The one element I don't understand about this big, very big store, is that they have a woefully inadequate number of cart-return corrals in the parking lot.  Not only are there very few but they are located only close to the store and not spread out over the large parking lot.  Consequently, numerous shopping carts were left throughout the parking lot, many of them bumping up against vehicles, others left in the middle of a parking spot, taking up a coveted space that a vehicle could have parked in, or others were just plain blocking driving lanes.  True, knuckleheaded customers were too lazy to return the carts to the designated areas but the store obviously didn't plan too well.

Earth-to-businesses:  It's all about customer service.  End of story.

Ancora imparo