Sunday, April 15, 2012

No Kite Fying Today, Ben

Storm. Storms.  Stormy.  Storming.  Stormed. 

I suspect the above words will be the meteorological progression today if the National Weather Service's forecast for many areas holds true.  After I read the forecast and the special weather statement it made me want to go back to bed, pull the covers over my head and stay there...........of course accompanied by my newspaper and fresh coffee, which could be challenging all under the bedsheets. 

As I laid in bed last night, listened to the rain pelt the condo, heard the booms of thunder and watched the lightning illuminate the sky, I couldn't help but think of the two types of personalities that come to mind during storms:  Those that love storms and those that quiver and quake during them. 

My eldest offspring loves storms.  Perhaps you could even say she thrives during the course of them.  She would make the perfect storm chaser - fearless and determined.  I fall into the category of storm-appreciator when I am on the Aqua RV......docked, of course.  I've mentioned the curiosity before of how many of us Aqua RV'ers can be seen up on decks during storms.  Groups of people even gather on boats to experience storms up close and personal - accompanied by cocktails and munchies.   Maybe these people are really afraid during storms and alcohol takes the edge off????????

Then there are the mammals that fear storms.  Some mammals are able to sleep straight through them but others run to their parents for comfort, claw at doors and furniture, howl, or bury their heads anywhere they can, under anything they can.  Our beloved dog, Max, always became highly stressed during storms and it took me years to discover it was not the thunder that freaked him out but, rather, the lightning.  If I wanted to get any sleep during a storm with Max, I'd have to move with him to a closet/dressing area where there were no windows, and sleep on the floor next to him in order to calm him.

Last night's storms seemed to be relatively benign in nature, although we must have experienced an electrical surge at some point because our electrical box had two blown circuit breakers.  Thank goodness for modern electrical practices.  We've come a long way since Benjamin Franklin ran around during electrical storms with a kite.  

I will refrain from kite-flying today.  I had better brew the coffee before another circuit breaker blows.

Ancora imparo