Friday, June 3, 2011

Too Much Confounding Air Today

Mother Nature, my frequently named-nemesis, can stop with her huffing and puffing any time.  Actually, this is way beyond huffing and puffing and more like jet-engine air streams.  Roaring winds have been the norm for the past four or five days, stirring up white caps in places where they are not regularly seen, straining lines to the point of needing doubled lines and snubbers to prevent powerful yanking of the Aqua RV, creating LOUD lapping of waves against the hull, and annoying my ears to no end with the powerful sounds of thirty-plus knots, gusting to forty to fifty.  Just too much wind. Oddly enough, just forty-five to sixty miles south of here, there is little wind and pleasant summer conditions.

The wind has driven me to distraction today.....so much so that when I decided to change the bag on the vacuum sweeper, Capt. SO asked me why.  "Why don't you wait until tomorrow morning when I vacuum up more May flies?"  He persisted but I persisted more persistently and changed the bag anyway.  Keep in mind, now, that there is a clean bag in the sweeper.

I don't use this sweeper all that often so when I do, it is a mystery to me all over again.  Not being highly mechanical, this sweeper is not terribly user-friendly, in my opinion.  I am usually the one who changes the bag because I can smell when it needs changing.  Apparently, Capt. SO's nose is not as sensitive as mine.  But, apart from changing the bag, the rest of the sweeper is just not logically designed......IMO.  On each end of the sweeper's main section, there are openings where one can hook up the hose.  I can never remember which end blows out and which end sucks in.  I hooked up the hose and pressed the "on" button.  (Remember that I now had a clean bag in the unit.)  A few little particles appeared on the wooden floor, but I couldn't understand why fuzz wasn't being sucked in.  I held the palm of my hand up to the end of the hose and, Eureka!  No suction.  It was then I remembered the two ends and their two functions.  You guessed it way before I did.  I had hooked the hose up to the "blow-out" end - not the "suck-in" end.  Can you imagine how relieved I was when I realized that if I had not persisted persistently and changed the bag, I would have been blowing probably thousands of dead bugs from the interior of the dirty bag.   

Air has (and is) factored majorly in my day thus far - either from Mother Nature outside or my $^* vacuum sweeper inside.  As Capt. SO so gently pointed out......"it is not the sweeper's fault."  This man lives dangerously.

Ancora imparo