Friday, June 24, 2011

New Is Nice

Some very special people just bought a new vehicle.  As I was texting and speaking with "them", as well as seeing pictures of the new vehicle, I was reminded of all of the new vehicles I've experienced in my lifetime. 

My parents were Ford people.  Growing up, the families that I knew seemed to find a car company they liked and they would become customers for life.  My cousins' family was a "Chevy" household and our backyard neighbor, George, was a Chrysler man.  I do not remember brand "hopping" back then, whereas today, brand "hopping" is very common.

My parents always bought the largest Ford station wagons that Ford produced.  Our station wagons always had eight cylinders and were built like Sherman tanks.  They were purchased to haul massive amounts of stuff to and from our lake property in northern Michigan and I used them plow through massive snow drifts in the country roads to and from my sister's home.  My goal was to be the first set of tracks through the snow drifts (still is) and I never got stuck. 

Capt. SO and I have purchased many new vehicles in our life together, but we have not been a one-brand household.  Our purchases of new vehicles have been Chevy Nova, one of the first Honda Civics (the very tiny ones), a Toyota pickup, a Plymouth Volare, Buick Regal, numerous Pontiac models, a Ford Aerostar, a GMC Safari, a Chevy Tahoe, a Chevy Suburban and a Volvo.  Quite a variety, if I do say so myself.  Our later purchases had everything to do with hauling kids, lots of stuff and boats.  Now we're more into comfort.  Our last purchase, the Volvo, was made purely on the fact that its seats suited my body the best.

We're not too far away from needing to purchase one or two more replacement vehicles and I'll be very curious to see what we settle on.  We've been having a great time brainstorming what we'd like to purchase.   We have not yet decided if hauling is still in our future, if we'll opt for comfort, or if we'll move in the luxury direction. 

What I do know is that new is nice.  There is just nothing quite like the smell of a new vehicle's interior, or the feel of its pristine exterior, with its smooth-as-glass surface that you really hate to see get wet or dirty.  As I wrote about recently, I do bond with my vehicles and it will be difficult to think of either one of ours being in the hands of another party. 

But then, new is nice.

Ancora imparo