Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Antonym For Apathy

Does it feel as if our society is being pulled - not necessarily apart - by the opposing forces of apathy and caring?  Is it possible to care to a fault?  Apparently so if you think about the tragic death of a Chicago-area man who was struck and killed by a limousine on the Tri-State Freeway as he went onto the roadway in an effort to protect a mother duck and her ducklings as they waddled across the dizzyingly fast lanes of traffic.  I could really identify with this story because I nearly asked Capt. SO to stop the car recently on a northern Interstate highway for the very same reason.  The mother duck and her babies were avoided by us but she was preparing to march them across the oncoming lanes and the traffic was heavy on that side.  I'm certain there was probably not a happy ending for some or all of them.  What I could have done was beyond my ken but my instinct was to try to stop the oncoming traffic.  Now there is a good definition of insanity.

The recent spate of natural disasters, both national and international, have elicited an overwhelmingly positive response from mankind, in general, and the outpouring of love, materials, time, and dollar donations has been monumental. Yes, we do care about each other, but why does it have to take a disaster to prompt overt caring?  It is not difficult to ascertain that caring is present when the coffers are full-to-brimming with people, donations, and dollars.

Apathy is another breed of social "animal", one that much harder to define, describe, and detect.  I must admit that I resort to apathy when I feel like I've met the definition of insanity - beating my head against the same brick wall over and over.  Apathy feels safe and definitely helps relieve my headache.  I had a recent fascinating conversation about apathy and all of the individuals involved admitted to being apathetic about something at some time.  Several admitted to present apathy about many topics and situations.  I recently wrote about umbilical cords in my life and I wonder if apathy is just another umbilical cord?  Perhaps apathy is yet another self-protective measure whereby we say to ourselves, "I just don't care any more!", when in reality we care too much but caring can bring hurt and humiliation and really - who needs hurt and humiliation?
As long as the caring gene exists in mankind, then apathy will continue to be present, if for no other reason than as an antidote for over-caring. 

Ibuprofen, anyone?

Ancora imparo