Thursday, June 23, 2011

It's All In The Tone

A friend of mine is a retired teacher.  She was a master teacher long before the catch-phrase became a buzz-word in educational circles.  To this day, her opinion on matters of either classroom discipline or at-home behavioral issues is routinely sought after.  When I was actively teaching, there were times when I'd run a scenario past this friend to seek her thoughts on possible alternative solutions.  Her ideas were always grounded on common sense, respect, and reality.  One of her oft-recited responses was, "It's all in the tone."   As my years went by and I became more proficient at reading people and situations, I, too, became adept at delivering words, not always popular words, in a way that lead to an outcome that was palatable to all, including me.

Another piece of my "tone" training came from my work days at a YWCA.  This particular "Y" had a history of consumer complaints regarding front-desk employees' treatment of the general public and at the time of my hire, an employee-education series of seminars was just being launched, so I was on the front end of a public-relations skill-training period for me, arming me with abilities that would remain for a life-time.  One of our first exercises involved the simple sentence, "How may I help you?"  Working with the instructor, in a one-on-one setting, we had to state the sentence five times, each time emphasizing a different word in the sentence. 

"How may I help you?" 
"How may I help you?" 
"How may I help you?" 
"How may I help you?" 
"How may I help you?"

With inflection changing in every sentence, each one communicates a slightly differing message to the listener.   
Tone.  It makes all the difference in communicating with any other human being.  There are many among us who could use a human-relations training session or a refresher course.  


Guess I'd better go listen to myself.

Ancora imparo